Paradise Valley Unified School District
EZAZ.org provides voter education and does not endorse candidates.
1. Are you a precinct committeeman? If yes, for how long?
Republican LD3 PC Elect effective 10/1
2. Tell us a bit about yourself. What made you run for school board?
I am a husband and proud father of 4 PV Students. I am an I.T. Manager with extensive experience negotiating contracts, managing budgets and serving on organizational boards. Our current PV School Board is failing our students. They approved draconian COVID metrics and shut down our schools TWICE, resulting in declining enrollment and test scores. Since 2018, PV has lost about 3,000 students.
3. Do you support sexual education of children in the classroom? At what age do you believe this is appropriate, and do you believe that a parent should have the opportunity to opt out?
I do not support the sexualization of our kids. I think Sex Ed should be parental opt-in required. I support House Bill 2035: Parental Rights on Sex Education Instruction that was signed by the Governor in July 2021. - No Sex Ed before 5th grade - Parental opt-in required - Any meetings on Sex Ed curriculum be posted at least 2 weeks prior to the meeting - Make any proposed Sex Ed course available for review at least 60 days prior to approval
4. Do you support the idea of parents being the sole stakeholders in their children’s lives?
5. What is your position on critical race theory, social-emotional learning, LGBTQ inclusion, and equity issues in the classroom? What do you know of Bloom365 and Corwin Press and what are your opinions?
I oppose Critical Race Theory in curriculum or otherwise introduced in classrooms. I think social-emotional learning could be helpful, but like with many other things, I don't trust rogue staff from turning it a mechanism to indoctrinate children. Unfortunately, our hands are tied by current state law on SEL. I oppose diversity, equity and inclusion doctrine.
6. Based on the limitations and powers of a school board member, what’s your platform?
I intend to establish board policies that ensure greater transparency, accountability and fiscal responsibility. My top 3 priorities are:
Academic Excellence Not Politics - Focusing on academics and keeping politics out of classrooms
Addressing declining enrollment and test scores
Supporting Educators - Recruiting & Retaining quality teachers, Directing more money to classrooms
Parents Rights - Restoring Parents Bill of Rights in Education (A.R.S. 1-602)
7. What do you believe to be the biggest issue impacting K-12 students in Arizona?
The biggest issue affecting K-12 students in PV is declining enrollment and test scores
8. How do you think the state should support public education? Do you believe in expanding school vouchers?
I think the state should fund students, not systems. I support school choice and ESAs.
9. Do you have a plan to fund renovations of schools in your area that are run down?
PV voters have approved every bond and override that has been placed on the ballot. PV does not have an issue with run down facilities.
10. Do you have a plan to address the shortage of teachers?
Yes. I support merit based pay. I support setting up an alternative to the liberal teachers association that funds the AEA and NEA. And I support honoring the teaching experience of charter and private school teachers, which is not currently honored by PV, forcing these teachers into starting salary ranges.
11. Do you support allowing retired military or police officers, who pass background checks, to work or volunteer in our schools to prevent mass shootings?
Yes. Our students and schools should be protected like any other public building (e.g. court house, city hall, banks, sports arenas).
12. Please feel free to add any additional information you would like voters to know about your candidacy.
Please support our ParentsForPV slate - Lisa Farr, Eddy Jackson and Sandra Christensen. ParentsForPV.com