Washington Elementary School District
EZAZ.org provides voter education and does not endorse candidates.
1. Are you a precinct committeeman? If yes, for how long?
Yes, 20 + years
2. Tell us a bit about yourself. What made you run for school board?
My name is Bill Adams, and I am a proud and current Governing Board Member with the Washington Elementary School District. I am up for re-election and ask for your vote to continue serving our children, their families, teachers, staff, administration, and community.
3. Do you support sexual education of children in the classroom? At what age do you believe this is appropriate, and do you believe that a parent should have the opportunity to opt out?
Washington Elementary School District is a K-8 school district and we do not currently offer sex ed. I believe the appropriate age would be in high school with parents’ permission.
4. Do you support the idea of parents being the sole stakeholders in their children’s lives?
A STAKEHOLDER is a person or group who has an interest - YES. I also believe guardians, grandparents and others have vested interest in children's lives. Parents are the ultimate decision makers and their rights must be respected.
5. What is your position on critical race theory, social-emotional learning, LGBTQ inclusion, and equity issues in the classroom? What do you know of Bloom365 and Corwin Press and what are your opinions?
Critical race theory is not taught in the WESD; we are an elementary school district. The social-emotional well-being and any learning loss of our students after the pandemic have been a priority of mine. Our district is aggressively working on programs to address these situations and modify them as needed. Recently, we have had numerous board meetings regarding LGBTQ inclusion and equity issues in the classroom. We are capturing data and utilizing our experts to guide us through these sensitive issues. I support the mission of WESD: The mission of the Washington Elementary School District is student achievement, preparing all students to become responsible, successful contributors to our diverse society. I do not know anything about Bloom365 and Corwin Press.
6. Based on the limitations and powers of a school board member, what’s your platform?
Continue to represent all stakeholders within our district. Support the vision of WESD: The Washington Elementary School District is committed to achieving excellence for every child, every day, every opportunity.
7. What do you believe to be the biggest issue impacting K-12 students in Arizona?
The most significant issue facing K-12 education is teacher retention and recruitment. We need to offer nationally and locally competitive salaries.
8. How do you think the state should support public education? Do you believe in expanding school vouchers?
We must reduce/eliminate unfunded mandates that are distracting and bogging down administrations and their staff! While I believe in school choice, I do not support expanding school vouchers; there is zero accountability for taxpayer dollars going to private and religious schools. Re-write the law and I will support it.
9. Do you have a plan to fund renovations of schools in your area that are run down?
Our Board and I voted to go out for a Bond and allow the voters to decide if we as a community should invest in maintaining and upgrading our campus facilities. We also work closely with the Arizona School Facilities Board.
10. Do you have a plan to address the shortage of teachers?
Fortunately, we have an aggressive and unconventional marketing campaign that has been very successful. While we are still down on the number of teachers needed, our HR department is very talented and keeps us updated daily. I prefer not to share a plan for obvious reasons; it is very competitive out there!
11. Do you support allowing retired military or police officers, who pass background checks, to work or volunteer in our schools to prevent mass shootings?
Interesting concept; I would entertain investigating this option. I am in total support of our military and police and would appreciate any help retirees can offer. At first glance, yes, and I would like to know more.
12. Please feel free to add any additional information you would like voters to know about your candidacy.
I am a proud WESD Governing Board Member! I am also the spouse of a retired teacher, have two adult sons that are successful graduates of the WESD system, and am the grandfather of a beautiful little girl. I am a small business owner, consulting/marketing to the Municipal and Education Markets. Experience and Leadership:
1. Washington Elementary School District Governing Board since 2006
2. Board of Directors, Pappas Kids Schoolhouse Foundation
3. Board of Directors of the Sundancer’s
4. Chairman, Central Region Area Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR)
5. Current WESD Employee Benefit Trust Board Member
6. Member, North Mountain Village Planning Committee
7. Member, Fighter Country Foundation
8. Life member, Blue Blazer Squadron
9. Member, Westmarc
10. Former Chairman, First Things First, North Phoenix Region Committee
11. Served on Cactus Wren Elementary School PTA and Site Council
12. Former Member Cholla Middle School Site Council My accomplishments have been my strong site and parental engagement, fact-based decision making, ability to assist in attracting exceptional teachers and staff, and most importantly, protecting our taxpayers! Please vote for BILL ADAMS, Washington Elementary School District Governing Board. I appreciate your support, BA