Chandler Unified School District
EZAZ.org provides voter education and does not endorse candidates.
1. Are you a precinct committeeman? If yes, for how long?
Not currently, just moved
2. Tell us a bit about yourself. What made you run for school board?
I have been advocating for Parent's Rights for several years now with the CUSD Board. Being on the Board would provide the opportunity to help direct policy for the District that supports that advocacy. The District needs to return its primary focus to academic instruction and discourage the promotion of political and social agendas in the classroom.
3. Do you support sexual education of children in the classroom? At what age do you believe this is appropriate, and do you believe that a parent should have the opportunity to opt out?
The liberty of parents to direct the upbringing, education, health care, and mental health of their children is a fundamental right guaranteed by Arizona statute and shall not be infringed by any governmental entity. Basic health education may be appropriate for children after fifth grade but sexualization is certainly not under any circumstances. That would be in the realm of parents.
4. Do you support the idea of parents being the sole stakeholders in their children’s lives?
That is well established in Arizona statute. School Districts are required to follow this mandate.
5. What is your position on critical race theory, social-emotional learning, LGBTQ inclusion, and equity issues in the classroom? What do you know of Bloom365 and Corwin Press and what are your opinions?
I led the effort to eliminate the Corwin Deep Equity program from CUSD. Academic instruction is certainly in the realm of the schools, but other social instruction as described above is in the realm of parents. These are distractions from the primary purpose of academic instruction in the schools. Deteriorating test scores are indicating that these distractions are having a negative effect.
6. Based on the limitations and powers of a school board member, what’s your platform?
The School Board sets policy for the District Administration. My policy platform is
(1) Catch upon learning loss from recent school closures
(2) Reading and Math proficiency scores must be greater than 50% at every school
(3) Increase student enrollment
(4) Improve teacher retention
(5) Improve Career and Technical training and Job Skills training for students.
7. What do you believe to be the biggest issue impacting K-12 students in Arizona?
The deterioration of academic proficiency and the lack of job skills training necessary for success after graduation.
8. How do you think the state should support public education? Do you believe in expanding school vouchers?
We welcome the competition with alternative forms of education. It improves our ability to serve students and the community as a whole. The District must provide a satisfactory offering to parents in order to capture the funding that comes with each student.
9. Do you have a plan to fund renovations of schools in your area that are run down?
Yes, CUSD is well funded with the capital in order to do so.
10. Do you have a plan to address the shortage of teachers?
CUSD recently hired 350 teachers for the new school year and has very few current openings. They also recently gave their Teachers another 7% pay raise on top of the 20% they received under Gov. Ducey's "20 by 20" program.. However, we now need to work on reducing teacher workloads and improving discipline in classrooms. It's not always about money.
11. Do you support allowing retired military or police officers, who pass background checks, to work or volunteer in our schools to prevent mass shootings?
These would essentially be private security guards. CUSD is using current Chandler PD officers as School Resource Officers (SROs) as their preferred solution.
12. Please feel free to add any additional information you would like voters to know about your candidacy.
I love working with kids. I have worked as a substitute teacher in District to spend time in the classrooms and volunteered with after school homework programs. I also coached youth sports for many years. I also have a strong background in financial management. I spent fifteen years on the Budget Committee and chaired it twice. My background is eighteen years as senior tech industry executive and I currently run my own business in Chandler as a Financial Advisor managing investment portfolios, I have a graduate degree in Chemistry and an MBA in Finance. More info can be found at KurtRohrsforCUSD.com